Book Club Recommendations

Lauren Mckinley, Staff Writer

One of the many clubs at SA that meets regularly is Book Club. It was originally formed in 2014 by alum Perry Parsons and is now co-run by sophomores Pamela Gloger and Ameilia Overstreet, and advised by librarian Michele Martin.

Book club meets once a month to talk about the book they just read as a group, as well as books in general. Junior Marlena Bennett Hall said she likes Book Club because “I love to read and I love to share my love of reading and insights with other people who love it.”

A new display in the library features photos of book club members holding books they recommend. Gloger said, “I’m a big fan of classics so I recommended Pride and Prejudice.” Book Club reads a variety of genres and lengths of books. The last book they read was The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner. Gloger said, “The writing was a little bit like YA type writing which wasn’t my favorite but I did like the aspect of a little bit of magic into a book of historical fiction, but also different time perspectives and two different perspectives.” Some of the other recommended books are The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow, Ever Cursed by Corey Ann Haydu, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, among others. Go to the library to check them out!